Skip to content

What is My Trust Tax Identification Number (EIN)?

** This article has been revised from its original version which was published on July 9, 2018

A trust identification number identifies a trust, like any other legal entity, for tax purposes. You need a trust identification number in order to put assets into your estate planning trust. The number will always be either:

  • The grantor’s Social Security Number
  • Issued by the IRS, known as an Employer Identification Number, or EIN

An EIN from the IRS functions like a Social Security Number for the trust. In the context of a trust, it has nothing to do with employment.

Whether the Grantor’s Social Security Number or an EIN is used to identify your trust depends on three factors:

  • Whether the trust is revocable or irrevocable
  • Whether the grantor is alive or has passed away
  • Whether income-producing assets are being held in the trust

Revocable Trusts

A revocable trust is considered an extension of the individual who creates the trust (the grantor). As such, any income the trust assets produce is reported on the grantor’s personal income tax return. While the grantor is alive, the grantor’s Social Security Number will serve as the trust identification number.

Irrevocable Trusts

An irrevocable trust is a bit different, as it is most often used to separate a person from their property in order to preserve it for the grantor’s beneficiaries at the time of the grantor’s death. If the only asset going into the trust is the grantor’s home which doesn’t produce any income, then the trust identification number, as in a revocable trust, can be the grantor’s Social Security Number. However, if the grantor is considering putting income-producing assets into the irrevocable trust, then an EIN should be obtained and used as the trust identification number instead.

Regardless of whether a trust is revocable or irrevocable, an EIN will also need to be obtained – if it was not previously obtained – when the grantor passes away. The grantor’s Social Security Number will be deactivated and no longer used to identify trust assets.

Getting an Employer Identification Number involves gathering information from the grantor and the trust to answer a series of questions for the IRS, which can currently be done online, by mail, or by fax. You can also get help from an estate planning attorney. Once the questions are answered, the IRS will issue an EIN to serve as the trust identification number. If the process is completed online, the EIN will be generated instantly and displayed on the screen.

To Sum It All Up

For a revocable trust, the trust identification number is the grantor’s Social Security Number if the grantor is alive and an EIN if the grantor is deceased.

For an irrevocable trust, the trust identification number is the grantor’s Social Security Number if the grantor is alive, the trust holds only assets that do not produce income, AND the grantor has not elected to have an EIN assigned. Or an EIN is used if the estate planning trust holds income-producing assets, the grantor is deceased, or the grantor has elected to have one assigned.

When creating a trust, it is important to consult with and retain experienced attorneys about the correct use of a trust identification number based on the type of trust and how you intend to use it. The estate planning attorneys at Russo Law Group, P.C., can explain different types of trusts and recommend the right one for your situation. Contact us or take advantage of our free seminars and webinars to learn more about how Russo Law Group, P.C., may assist with revocable and irrevocable trusts.



Lauren E. Soule
Russo Law Group, P.C.
100 Quentin Roosevelt Blvd., Suite 102
Garden City, NY 11530

Choosing and working with a law firm can be stressful. Often you don’t know what the process is, what it will cost, and whether the law firm will even be able to help you! To feel confident in your choice, and to know that your confidence is not misplaced, you should look for much more.
Our team of elder law attorneys, estate planning attorneys, and special needs (disability) attorneys have represented the elderly and persons with special needs/disabilities and their families since 1985. In most professional occupations there is no replacement for experience. At Russo Law Group, P.C., our caring and compassionate staff have been involved in literally thousands of cases. Our experience is your protection.
Here are just a few reasons why.

This Post Has 7 Comments

  1. My aunt created a trust with my social security number. I am a trustee and one of the beneficiaries. Should ‘t She have used her SS number? Are there any negative tax consequences for me?

    1. Thanks for reaching out to us.

      In order to properly advise you as to your question, we would need to review the legal documents.

      If interested in our law firm advising you, please contact our office at 516-683-1717.
      Please note this reply is informational only and not legal advice. You should seek the services of an attorney for legal advice.

      Sincerely Yours
      Janet Corsetti, Client Service Coordinator

  2. I am interested in taken control of my SSN. Obtaining an EIN and more. Please email me or provide a contact.

    1. Thank you for your email.

      It sounds like you have a Trust. If you are looking for a tax identification number, you can contact the attorney who helped you execute the document to make sure they didn’t already obtain one.

      Please Note: This reply is informational only and not legal advice. You should seek the services of an attorney for legal advice.

  3. My aunt died during covid & my sister-in-law is in charge of the trust. Aunt & Trustee both lived & live in NY but had a home summer home in NJ which is what the trust is in reference to. We need an attorney because there are issues & sister-in-law is not forth coming. What state do I get an attorney with, NY where she lived, trust was written & trustee lives or NJ where real property is? Thank you so much!!!!

    1. Thanks for reaching out to us.

      In order to answer this question, we would need to have a more detailed discussion about the Trust to properly advise you.

      We are available to arrange for a meeting with one of our experienced attorneys. We will also answer any questions that you may have regarding our services and legal fees.

      Please contact our office at 516-683-1717 and we will be happy to assist you.

      Please note this reply is informational only and not legal advice. You should see the services of an attorney for legal advice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top