Skip to content

Understanding Medicaid Coverage When Moving to a New State

Steps to Obtain Medicaid in a New State of ResidenceA number of my clients have experienced a gap in their Medicaid coverage because they moved from one state to another to be closer to their families.

It is important to remember that Medicaid is not portable. You cannot simply transfer it from one state to another.

For example, if you are receiving Medicaid benefits in New York and you move to another state, the New York State Medicaid eligibility will be lost. Meanwhile, there could be a considerable delay before you are enrolled in Medicaid and start to receive benefits in your new home state.

If you want to make sure that you obtain Medicaid in a new state of residence, you should know that:

  • You can only apply for Medicaid in a new state after you have become a resident. If you are a part-time resident of two different states, you have to pick one as your primary residence. Your tax returns, driver’s license, and mailing address for social security benefits will help establish your residency.  
  • Each state has its own eligibility guidelines. The guidelines in your current state of residence may be quite different from those in your future state of residence.
  • Each state has its own options. You should determine whether your future state of residence has the Medicaid options that you require. For example, if you are receiving Medicaid home care in New York State, you would want to make sure that there is a home care program under Medicaid in the state where you plan to move.

Whenever you are considering a move to another state, you should contact an elder law attorney in your future state of residence to confirm that you are eligible for Medicaid in that state. That attorney can work with your current elder law attorney to assist you with crucial Medicaid planning and coordinating.

If you want to learn more about obtaining Medicaid benefits when you move to a new state, please contact us at (800) 680-1717.

Russo Law Group, P.C.
100 Quentin Roosevelt Blvd., Suite 102
Garden City, NY 11530

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top