As baby boomers and seniors enter their golden years, nutrition becomes an important part of…
As our aging population begins to enter retirement in record numbers, more and more seniors will face the question of how to handle their changing health needs. One decision that will need to be made is whether to reside in a nursing home or assisted living facility.
For some seniors, financial and health constraints do not allow for this type of choice. However, for those that are able to reside in an assisted living facility, there are some compelling benefits to this choice.
Here are 8 ways in which an assisted living facility may improve a senior’s quality of life:
- Independence – Assisted living facilities help seniors care for themselves while also offering access to an active lifestyle. This sense of independence can make all the difference in the quality of life for a senior.
- Activities of Daily Living – Activities of daily living (ADLs) such as bathing, dressing, and eating can be a challenge to some seniors. An assisted living facility can offer help to older adults with these ADLs so that they can continue to function as independently as possible.
- Safe Environment – Most assisted living facilities are designed for mobility and accessibility, helping seniors avoid falls and accidents and providing rapid access to assistance.
- Intellectual Stimulation – Maintaining intellectual stimulation can often make all the difference in the health and well-being of a senior citizen. Many assisted living facilities offer various types of classes, guest lectures educational courses, and cultural events.
- Nutrition – In assisted living facilities, residents are served three meals a day that are designed to meet the health needs of older adults.
- Physical Activity and Fitness – Many assisted living facilities offer opportunities for physical fitness that go beyond what family caregivers can easily provide at home.
- Social Activity –In assisted living, residents can socialize with peers in common areas and through planned activities.
- Housekeeping and Transportation – Many assisted living facilities generally include upkeep and housekeeping in the monthly rent cost, and many facilities also offer transportation services or access to various transportation services.
By Eric J. Einhart – Guest Blogger