Marie Elena is a Partner of Russo Law Group, P.C. of Garden City, Islandia, Lido Beach and Manhattan, New York. Marie Elena joined the firm in 1991 and her areas of practice include Trust and Estate Administration, Elder Law, Special Needs and Estate Planning, Guardianships, and Real Estate. Marie Elena is a member of the New York State, Nassau and Suffolk County Bar Associations, the Academy of Special Needs Planners, and has served as a member of the Executive Committee of the Elder Law Section of the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) from 2004-2011. She is a former Co-Chair of the Legal Education Committee, former Chair of the Trusts and Estates Administration Committee, former Chair of the Estate Tax Planning Committee, and former Co-Chair of the Trusts and Estates Administration Committee for the New York State Bar Association’s Elder Law Section. Marie Elena was also the Chair of the 2010 Annual Meeting for the New York State Bar Association’s Elder Law Section.
In addition, Marie Elena is a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA). She is a former Chair of NAELA’S Member Relations/Membership Committee, a former Chair of NAELA’S Academic Committee, and continues to be actively involved with NAELA. In 2010, Marie Elena was nominated to the Board of Directors of NAELA National. She has also served as a member of the Board of Directors of the New York Chapter of NAELA. She earned her law degree at St. John’s University School of Law and is admitted to the New York State Bar.
“I receive great personal and professional satisfaction from helping families achieve their objectives, protect their assets, and cope during times of family crisis,” says Marie Elena. “I am also proud of the fact that we have become one of the most respected Elder Law, Special Needs and Estate Planning firms in the country. Every day offers me a new opportunity to use my experience and knowledge to help families during difficult times.”
Marie Elena and her husband Michael, who is also an attorney, have been married for 27 years. They have a daughter, Michaela, and their free time is devoted to their family, church, and supporting community organizations such as the Theresa Foundation.
- Member-New York State Bar
- B.A, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, 1988
- Juris Doctor, St. John’s University School of Law, 1991
Accomplishments & Recognitions:
- Super Lawyer (2016 – present)
Association & Board Memberships:
- Member- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)
- Member- American Bar Association
- Member- Nassau County Bar Association,
- Member- Suffolk County Bar Association
- Co-Chair- New York State Bar Association Elder Law Section Legal Education Committee
- Member- NAELA Relations Committee
- Former Board Member- NAELA Relations Committee
- Member- ElderCounsel
Family Comes First Appearances:
Blog Posts by Marie Elena R. Puma
- What Do I Need to Know About New York State Gift and Estate Taxes?
- COVID-19 Pandemic Estate Planning: How Can I Avoid Probate?
- COVID-19 Pandemic Estate Planning: Do I Need a Durable Power of Attorney?
- COVID-19 Pandemic Estate Planning: Do I Need a Last Will and Testament?
- How Does the SECURE Act Impact RMDs?
- How Can I Locate Life Insurance Policies and Annuity Contracts Owned by My Deceased Loved One?
- What is Ancillary Probate?
- Probate – FAQs
- Can a Bank or Mortgage Lender Call In the Mortgage if…?
- “Per Stirpes”, “By Representation”, “Per Capita”-What Do They Mean?