Skip to content

Who is eligible for the Aid and Attendance pension?

The Aid and Attendance and Housebound pensions are non-service-connected pensions, not to be confused with VA service-connected disability compensation payments. The difference between the two is that non-service connected pensions are for veterans whose disability was not caused by or aggravated in the line of duty in the active military. VA service-connected disability compensation payments are for veterans whose disability was caused by a combat-related injury or illness while in the line of duty.

If eligible, the VA would provide a monthly payment to help pay for the veteran’s care.

In order to be eligible to receive an Aid and Attendance pension or a Housebound pension, the wartime service veteran must meet the following requirements:

  • Annual family net income is below the yearly limit set by law. The annual net income limits can be found here.
  • Can not have excessive net worth. Although no limit has been established on how much net worth (assets minus debts) a wartime service veteran and his/her dependents may have, generally net worth must be less than $80,000. It is important to note assets do not include one’s primary home and a car.
  • Must be disabled. For VA pension purposes, disability refers to a person that requires assistance with the activities of daily living. As stated above, the disability is not related to the veterean’s military service and cannot be due to willful misconduct.
  • A physician must also document the need for the veteran to receive caregiver services. Typically, a veteran will receive care in an assisted living facility or receives non-medical home care services.
  • The veteran must have had at least 90 days of active military service, at least one day of which was served during official wartime. To have served during wartime, the veteran did not need to see combat or even leave the country.
  • The veteran’s discharge must be other than dishonorable.

These benefits may also be available to the widow/widower of a veteran.

To learn more if you or a loved one may be eligible, contact Vincent J. Russo & Associates, P.C. today.

By Marissa Kleiner– Guest Blogger

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top